Texas Instruments Systems Engineer - Factory & Process Automation Domain Expert in San Francisco, California
Job ID 19187BR
Job Posting Title Systems Engineer - Factory & Process Automation Domain Expert
Job Description Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world’s brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. We’re committed to building a better future – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities and developing great minds. Put your talent to work with us – change the world, love your job!
About the job:
The position of Factory and Process Automation Domain Expert (a Systems Engineer Position) is focused on defining highly differentiated semiconductor product/solution concepts that can be targeted for development by TI’s Kilby Labs and business units, and as needed, in collaboration with external partners such as customers, universities, research institutions, etc. The focus of the solution/product concepts can be broad to include combination of analog and embedded IP, circuits/systems/process/package concepts, or more narrowly focused at a specific component level, i.e. analog front ends, sensing solutions, isolation and power management devices/solutions, etc. The targeted use cases involve equipment in the factory and process automation field. Definition of the concepts are expected to include all relevant key circuit/system/solution/product technical specifications and requirements in sufficient detail – validated with multiple appropriate customers – such that a hardware proof of concept (in Si testchip or product prototype form), with or without algorithm/software as required, can be implemented. The aim is to solve major customer problems and remove key differentiation barriers for them to enable major advancements in performance, cost, system capability, size, etc. enhancements. This position requires the ability to very effectively and efficiently interact with a number of organizations within and outside of TI, across the globe.
We are looking for a passionate, dynamic, self-motivated, hard-working, results-oriented individual to contribute in an extremely talented R&D team environment.
The Factory and Process Automation Domain Expert role is responsible for the following:
• Identify and address major discontinuities, opportunities, and gaps, to help position TI for long term technical leadership in carefully selected sectors and end-equipment in the factory and process automation market segments, with the goal of significantly growing TI’s revenue and market share.
• Build a close collaborative relationship with forward-looking technologists and product developers at our customers to identify transformational opportunities that can be enabled by innovative TI solutions/products. The goal will be to understand end-equipment and technological trends – and leveraging that knowledge – to define, initiate, and lead timely development of compelling solutions/products that intercept technological customer-needs and remove major differentiation barriers to enable significant advancements for our customers. This will also require formulating a strategic approach and definition of a technology roadmap that will help achieve sustained TI leadership in the targeted end equipment or market sector.
• Propose innovative new solutions to be addressed by Kilby Labs, business units, Analog Technology Development, and/or Packaging teams. This will include technical definition of the solutions/products, including key specs, hardware (Si chips, package, PCB, system, etc.) and software requirements, connectivity requirements, proof of concept definition, etc. that will clearly capture and demonstrate the value proposition for the solution/product from customers’ perspective, as well as the value proposition sought by TI business leaders for highly differentiated solutions with defensible competitive boundaries that accelerate TI revenue growth.
• Technology scouting and exploration with startups, universities, research institutions, and other potential eco-system partners that can help acquire, license, or co-develop new technologies and/or products.
• Build a close collaborative relationships with technologists and leaders from various TI business units, functional groups, sales and marketing teams, etc. to ensure any proposed project or concept receives the full benefit of robust review, input, and contribution from all appropriate stakeholders.
• BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, or related field.
• Knowledge of system architecture/design and/or semiconductor products specifically intended for factory and process automation with 10+ years of experience.
• Demonstrated experience in defining systems and/or components specifications and requirements: sensors, MCUs, connectivity (wired or wireless), power management, signal chain devices (amplifires, data converters, timing and clock devices, etc.), isolation devices, sub-system, PCB, etc.
• Knowledge of requirements for compliance with industry standards/protocols, related to semiconductor devices intended for use in factory and process automation systems.
• Proficient with Matlab or other simulation tools to develop system simulations that include system models and circuit components to analyze the potential HW + SW solutions
• Proven ability to migrate simulated solutions to prototype design and implementation in timely fashion. Strong system level debug capability required.
• Ability to follow disciplined work flow targeting for delivery of milestones on-time with high quality
• Ability to work independently - with minimal supervision - with significant sense of urgency and commitment to achieve tangible results and outcomes.
• Master’s or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, or related field.
• End-to-end equipment/system architecture, design, semiconductor component definition, etc. experience.
Please note, this position can be located in Santa Clara, CA, Dallas, TX, or Freising, Germany.
To be considered for this position, please apply to this requisition.
Texas Instruments is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected characteristics, including race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or age.
Job Opening Type Experienced Professional
Minimum Education Level Bachelor's Level Degree
Related Field(s) of Study
Electrical & Computer Engineer
Minimum Years of Experience 10
Regular / Temporary Regular
Full-time / Part-time Full-Time
Country United States
Virtual / Telecommute No
Equal Opportunity Employer
Texas Instruments is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, genetic information, national origin, gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
The following link provides more information regarding the Federal laws prohibiting discrimination in employment: EEO is the Law – Notice of Applicant Rights Under the Law. at https://infolink.ti.com/ext/staffing/eeoselfprint_poster.pdf
Affirmative Action Efforts
TI's affirmative action efforts — extending to women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans — are an important part of our commitment to equal employment opportunities. TI's Affirmative Action Program is available upon request at the Texas Instruments Ethics Office, located at 13570 North Central Expressway, MS 3961, Dallas, Texas 75243, or by email here at mailto:email@example.com , on Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Central Time).
Applicants with Disabilities
If you are an individual with a disability who is unable or limited in your ability to complete the application process, including the use or access of our website, as a result of a physical or mental impairment, you may request reasonable accommodations by clicking here at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org to email us your request. Determinations of requests for accommodations due to disability are made on a case-by-case basis.