Texas Instruments Security Systems Engineer in San Francisco, California
Job ID 19225BR
Job Posting Title Security Systems Engineer
Job Description Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world’s brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. We’re committed to building a better future – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities and developing great minds. Put your talent to work with us – change the world, love your job!
About the job:
With the increasing intelligence and open communicating needed for industrial IOT applications, the need for security in various industrial environments is growing. This corporate level R&D position involves various embedded system level security algorithm designs, circuit level architecture and specification, security standards compliance verification, performance/cost tradeoff analysis as well as system level optimization. Targeted industrial IOT applications are: process/factory automation, building automation, energy automation and urban mobility and infrastructure. The job involves evaluation of various security attacks to the embedded system at IC level as well as embedded system and communication/networking level (both wired and wireless). It also requires system specification and prototyping of a security solution to demonstrate resilience to the security risks in real-world applications. The job requires design of security IPs which include but not limited to algorithms and analytical computing, protocols, standard compliance, performance for various security features: i.e. unique device identity, authentication, key storage and management, power fluctuation protection, secured run-time environment, wireless media anti-sniffing and anti-jamming, etc. The position also requires a lot of interaction with multi-disciplinary functional teams and organizations within the company for aligned production goals.
We are looking for a passionate, dynamic, self-motivated, hard-working, results-oriented individual to contribute in an extremely talented R&D team environment.
• System Knowledge: develop and apply system expertise in embedded security domain targeted to industrial IOT applications with responsibility of: design security IPs and solutions using TI silicon portfolio (MCUs, connectivity devices, analog front ends, power management ICs, etc.)
• Security algorithm, architecture and protocols: Apply security system knowhow to develop algorithms, architectures and protocols embedded inside TI based components or devices.
• Hardware Design: Define, specify, and prototype on new security features including HW/SW co-design and implementation.
• Verification and validation: Provide needed system level modeling or simulation to validate the viability of a given solution and perform system tradeoff analysis
• Prototyping: develop a working prototype with designed security IP integrated (i.e. test chip) to demonstrate the functionality and performance under various security attack scenarios in real-time applications.
• Packaging: provide self-contained package (documentation, simulations, software, hardware, test infrastructure) to ensure a smooth transition of given solution to business unit
• Customer and standard organization Interactions: work with business units to engage with customers, demonstrate system knowledge and provide system support. Participating key security standard activities and making necessary contributions.
• Networking: identify business units within the company that would benefit from systems knowledge/solutions developed in the group
• Intellectual Property : Generate relative patents for TI to protect TI position in the security application area.
• Emerging Technologies: monitor competitive landscape for performance benchmark relative to competition and find new applications/opportunities in the security space to enhance TI position.
• PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field
• Security system knowledge with 3+ years professional security project level experience
• Demonstrated security, data analytical and security protocol algorithm design experience for various embedded systems or components: sensors, MCUs, connectivity (wired or wireless), power management sub-system
• Proficient with Matlab/Simulink to develop system simulations that include system models and circuit components to analyze the potential HW + SW solutions
• Proven ability to migrate simulated solutions to prototype design and implementation in timely fashion. Strong system level debug capability required
• Ability to follow disciplined work flow targeting for delivery of milestones on-time with high quality
• Knowledge of industrial security protocols and standards: IEC 62443, IIC security framework, secured connectivity: TLS/DTLS, 802.15.4/Thread, MAC security, 802.1X, 802.1af/ae, and crypto algorithms, etc.
• Knowledge of device identify structure and IP, wireless communication physical layer and radio control, wireless charging, RFID, BLE, WiFi, Zigbee, ultra-wide-band RF
• End to end IOT infrastructure on security
• Data security analytical tools and library
NOTE: This role can be located in Dallas, TX, Santa Clara, CA, or Freising, Germany.
To be considered for this position, please apply to this requisition.
Texas Instruments is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected characteristics, including race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or age.
Job Opening Type Experienced Professional
Minimum Education Level Doctorate's Level Degree
Related Field(s) of Study
Electrical & Computer Engineer
Minimum Years of Experience 3
Regular / Temporary Regular
Full-time / Part-time Full-Time
Country United States
Virtual / Telecommute No
Equal Opportunity Employer
Texas Instruments is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, genetic information, national origin, gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
The following link provides more information regarding the Federal laws prohibiting discrimination in employment: EEO is the Law – Notice of Applicant Rights Under the Law. at https://infolink.ti.com/ext/staffing/eeoselfprint_poster.pdf
Affirmative Action Efforts
TI's affirmative action efforts — extending to women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans — are an important part of our commitment to equal employment opportunities. TI's Affirmative Action Program is available upon request at the Texas Instruments Ethics Office, located at 13570 North Central Expressway, MS 3961, Dallas, Texas 75243, or by email here at mailto:email@example.com , on Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Central Time).
Applicants with Disabilities
If you are an individual with a disability who is unable or limited in your ability to complete the application process, including the use or access of our website, as a result of a physical or mental impairment, you may request reasonable accommodations by clicking here at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org to email us your request. Determinations of requests for accommodations due to disability are made on a case-by-case basis.